Martin Estate winery was built in 1887 by pioneer vintner and then Napa County Sheriff Henry H. Harris. Harris arrived in the Napa Valley in September of 1853, after traveling with his family by ox-teams in a train composed of fifteen wagons from Missouri, when he was 15 years old.
The property was purchased in 1996 by Greg and Petra Martin, both wine aficionados and collectors of fine art. They loved the heritage of the Harris Winery, and decided to do everything they could to restore and maintain its 18th and 19th century feel. The Estate Vineyard was planted, and the H.H. Harris Winery was resurrected as Martin Estate after ninety years of dormancy. Their first commercially released vintage was the 2001 Martin Estate Cabernet Sauvignon.
Martin Estate's Puerta Dorada Vineyard stretches over almost eight acres of alluvial fans in the heart of Napa Valley's acclaimed Rutherford appelation. Its distinctly Rutherford soils and microclimates are largely responsible for the elegant, concentrated fruit that goes into the 100% Estate grown, produced and bottled Cabernets Sauvignons.